Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Its kinda weird in Bangalore

I have been in Bangalore for just over a year and the last weekend was pretty weird. I had gone out with the office guys for lunch on Friday afternoon and that's when we heard that three bombs had gone off in the city. By the time we finished, the count was up till nine blasts. However, there was no sign of panic on the streets. You could sense a bit of uncertainty and the phone lines got jammed but things were still pretty cool.
Most of the office folks decided to go home by around 4 o'clock but I hung on till 7, waiting for things to subside a bit. The streets were pretty empty on the way home. I went over to a friend's place and was expecting cops to be checking everyone but there was no activity at all. I got up pretty late on Saturday and headed to office around lunch. While crossing the main shopping area (Brigade/MG Road/Commercial Street), I found it pretty full. I guess people were taking advantage of all the sales happening around. I was out there because of compulsion but what about these guys???
On Sunday, I went out for a bit and man were the roads empty. It started pouring too and I was happy. It meant that power cuts may be staved off a bit and that I had an excuse to sit at home. Anyway, we decided to go out for a movie to Inox at Garuda Mall. I guess I applied the same logic as others that - Nah the blasts can't happen again in such a short time. We must have reached Garuda at around 8.30 p.m. and the place was pretty empty. The theatre too was half empty and I guess only people who had done advance booking showed up. I felt a little foolish but hey I am happy to say that you can watch Made of Honor safely. It was quite entertaining and feel good types. Very predictable though. Overall rating on the Mathew Rate-O-Meter is 2.5 out of 5 stars.
As of today, life seems to be back at normal. What I can't get is that it rained and I avoided it. There were sales which I didn't check out. The bombs went off and luckily me and the people I know were not affected. The weekend went off in a blink, just like any other. Did I miss something? Was there something between the lines? Weird huh....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Its so true. On Saturday, the city had bounced back and was doing its fave activity- conspicuous consumption. The other side effect was that even long lost friends called to check if everything was ok.

Sudha