Monday, September 8, 2008

Movie Review - Rock On

I have never been a fan of Hindi movies (Bollywood movies, should I say). During my college days, I once jeered my friends so much for going to watch one that they picked me up and carried me to the bus. That movie was called 'Mann', starring Aamir Khan and Manisha Koirala. It was so bad that we walked out even before the intermission. Such a traumatic incident was enough to reinforce my belief that Hindi movies and I should stay away from each other. After this, I have seen very few Bollywood flicks, mostly to keep my friends company.

However, it is my firm belief that the quality of Hindi movies has improved. It may not be a drastic improvement but they are more watchable. With this belief, I went to check out Rock On. The movie is about four friends who have a rock band ergo they are rock lovers. The characters are Aditya (Farhan Akhtar), Joe (Arjun Rampal), KD (Purab Kohli), Rob (Luke Kenny) and Sakshi (Prachi Desai). They get along very well and so do their girlfriends till a bit of fame come along. Bam, the problems come tumbling like an avalanche and they split up. About ten years later, each of them are living separate lives, successful in their professions except for Joe. Despite this, they aren’t very happy and something seems to be missing in their lives. A chance encounter between KD and Sakshi gets the two talking and then they try to get the others together. Will the group get together (hurrah) or will the old problems compounded by egos keep them apart (gasp gasp gasp - last two were echoes, Bollywood ishtyle)? That is what the rest of the movie is about.

Now this is a typical rock band story, in real and reel life. However, full marks to Abhishek Kapoor for using the theme in a Bollywood flick where this is not an old overused theme. Although the movie is produced by Farhan Akhtar and not written by him, it seems to have his influence. I mean this is the guy who gave us Dil Chahta Hai and Lakshya (I enjoyed both thoroughly). He sings pretty well too, most of the songs in the movie are sung by him. What I also liked about Rock On is the way the movie switches between their past and present lives. Purab Kohli has done a great hob, very entertaining. What I didn't like about movie is that the rock band didn't have the chemistry you would expect. The camaraderie and the jamming sessions didn't feel right. Arjun Rampal just doesn't have the cool attitude that lead guitarists inherently seem to possess. Also, the plot slows down and kinda loses its way just before the end but it rights itself at the end. Overall rating on the Mathew Rate-O-Meter 3.25 out of 5 stars.

No comments: