Friday, September 12, 2008

Cool Dude phrases

I find some phrases very catchy. It kinda sticks to me and I use it time and again. I know its very corny but it always make me smile. Sometimes it gets so bad that my close friends and family get irritated and tell me to pipe down. Other times, it brings out a smile and I am told to stop being corny. But hey, they all luve me cause I am a great guy and... Anyway, I thought it would make an interesting read and hence put a few of them down.

Talk to the Hand - The phrase is an English language slang phrase associated with the 1990s. It originated in African American Vernacular English as a contemptuous and urbanized way of saying that no one is listening and is often elongated to a phrase such as "Talk to the hand, because the ear's not listening" or "Talk to the hand, cause the face don't understand" or "Talk to the hand, cause the face don't give a damn." It is usually accompanied by the gesture of extending one arm toward the other person, with the palm of that hand facing the person being insulted, in the manner of the gesture to stop. Also popularized in 2003 in Terminator 3. Arnold Schwarzenegger appears on a dance stage naked with a male stripper, and asks the stripper for his clothes. The stripper replies to the Terminator, "Talk to the hand." The Terminator proceeds to talk to the stripper's hand, grabbing and breaking it, and bringing it close to his mouth and replying, "Now."

Surfs Up Big Kahuna - I first heard this phrase in the movie Batman Forever, where Jim Carrey (The Riddler) pushes another guy into the waters while shouting out Surfs up Big Kahuna. Kahuna is a Hawaiian word, defined as "Priest, sorcerer, magician, wizard, minister, expert in any profession." The use of the term in reference to surfing can be traced back to the 1959 film Gidget, in which "The Big Kahuna", played by Cliff Robertson, was the leader of a group of surfers. The term then became commonplace in Beach Party films of the 1960s such as Beach Blanket Bingo, where the "Big Kahuna" was the best surfer on the beach. Eventually, it was adopted into general surfing culture.

Hasta la Vista - I know, I know. A lot of people use this. That's why I put it here cause I can't miss it. These are Spanish words which mean see you later. Thanks to Arnie (again), these words gained huge popularity. The dialogue goes like this
John Connor: No, no, no, no. You gotta listen to the way people talk. You don't say "affirmative," or some shit like that. You say "no problemo." And if someone comes on to you with an attitude you say "eat me." And if you want to shine them on it's "hasta la vista, baby."
The Terminator: Hasta la vista, baby.

You've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk? - Okay, that is a movie dialogue. The interesting thing is that I have never seen the movie Dirty Harry where Clint Eastwood delivers this dialogue. I heard it in The Mask, where Jim Carrey does a spoofy imitation of this. Iknew it then that it must have been a powerful dialogue in some movie. It goes like this
Harry Callahan "Dirty Harry": I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

Thats all folks! I'll put up some more and I'll try and avoid Arnie and Jim Carrey next time. Until then, see ya later alligator (your response should be 'in a while, crocodile'). Btw, this is from a song composed by Bill Haley & The Comets in 1956 ;-)

No comments: